Discount Car Insurance for Students – From High School to College
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jan 20, 2012
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Being a student can be a bit of an overwhelming task. Trying to maintain a great grade point average is not easy. This is especially true if you have other obligations in place such as holding down a job or taking care of a family. For that reason, knowing there are companies that offer discount car insurance for students can bring you real peace of mind.
The good thing is you can find these lowered rates for both teenaged high school drivers or college aged drivers, whether that means right after high school or later in life. To start saving today, you need to find out a little more about what it all means and how you can find those great rates.
Anytime you can save money on your car insurance, you should take the opportunity as long as it means having all the coverage you need. When it comes to saving money on your auto insurance, it is possible to cut premium prices without cutting corners on your coverage. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Teen drivers have some of the highest premium rates for auto insurance policy coverage. Because teens are new, inexperienced, first time drivers, they are considered high risk, which is the priciest category to be in. A good amount of car insurance policy providers offer discount auto insurance for students who are able to maintain a higher grade point average or GPA. The good student discount can also apply for college students in many cases.
- Students who are in high school should also take advantage of driver’s education courses. Having this on your record will help insurance rates drop. Taking these courses means you have received formal training for driving and completed the training with a passing grade. Young drivers who complete this course tend to take being behind the wheel more seriously than their peers who do not.
- Even your PSAT and SAT scores can help you earn lower discount car insurance for students rates. Of course those who can maintain a spot on honor roll in high school or the dean’s list in college can also expect to see lower rates on their auto insurance.
Learning about Discounts
If you are a young, first time driver you may not be aware yet of how you can money on your auto insurance policies in other ways. Because your car insurance premium rates will tend to be higher to begin with, you should look for ways to drop those rates aside from getting discount car insurance for students. There are ways to be thrifty and help lower your rates when it comes to auto insurance for younger drivers.
- Consider driving a less than brand new car, especially if you can avoid driving a car that is still financed. Though you want to drive a car new enough to have important safety features, you also should try to avoid insuring yourself behind the wheel of a vehicle that is of too great a value.
- On that same note, a car with a good amount of safety features is bound to save you more money on your premiums. If you have an older model vehicle that does not have standard safety features such as air bags or anti-lock brakes, consider having these features added. Also adding anti-theft devices can help you save money on car insurance policies in many cases too.
- Find out even what type of car can help lower your rates such as a four door versus a two door or a standard car versus a convertible. Keep in mind even the color choice you make for your car can affect your insurance rates and you can expect to pay more for a red car for example.
Tips to Cutting Your Costs for Coverage
In addition to finding discount car insurance for students, you can also find other things that can help you save money when it comes time to pay that premium bill.
- Actually one way that increases your premiums but can end up saving you a good deal of money in the long run is paying your premium dues on an annual or quarterly basis. Though monthly is the most convenient way to pay your car insurance bill, you will find by paying annually or quarterly the savings will make the switch worthwhile.
- When you start a new policy you often times have to have a down payment. Most car insurance companies will divide this lump sum down payment into smaller amounts to be included in your monthly premium payments. The thing is this also increases the amount of that down payment. If you can come up with the initial down payment up front instead of having it spread out over time, you can also find some great savings.
- Get what you need but not much more. Find out what is required of you by your state guidelines for carrying the right amount of insurance and being a legal driver. If you have a car that is financed, you should also make sure your policy coverage includes these amounts. Otherwise how much more insurance you want is up to you. If you have an older car that needs repair or may not be of much value, you can consider getting just liability insurance and save yourself some money.
Never get less coverage than you want, but don’t end up sold on much more than you actually need. Too often drivers are convinced they need a higher amount of insurance at a higher price tag all for details or coverage amounts they do not even need.
To find out about the discount auto insurance for students you could be taking advantage of simply enter your zip code into the system and see what great savings results could be yours.
Stop overpaying and allow yourself to focus on your studies while the discount car insurance for students quotes are delivered to you for you to review at your leisure.