How to Get Discount Car Insurance Rates
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Are you thinking about purchasing a new vehicle and you need to get insurance? Maybe you already have insurance, but you think you are paying too much and want to find ways to get discount car insurance rates. Either way, it never hurts to shop around to see what the various insurance companies are offering in the way of products and rates. You never know. If you currently have insurance, you may find that you are paying far more than you need to be, and that you can get a better deal when you switch insurance companies.
You can get discount insurance rates, but it will take a little bit of work on your end to learn about these discounts. After all, the insurance companies aren’t going to come right out and tell you about discounts. That would be going against what they are trying to do in the first place, which is make as much money as possible by selling as few insurance products as possible at the highest prices.
Ways You Can Save Money on Car Insurance
Even though it can be expensive, you can find ways to get discount car insurance rates. For instance, if you have an excellent driving record, and you have had that excellent record for a certain number of years, you may be eligible for a safe driver discount. In fact, you could get a discount for every year that you have a clean driving record as an incentive to keep up the good work. Other things that could help you to get discount car insurance rates include:
- Don’t get a flashy car. The fancier the car is, the more expensive it is going to be to insure. It is often recommended that younger drivers stay away from the sports cars and stick with older, safer cars that are easier to insure. A good rule of thumb to remember is that a two-door sporty model is usually more expensive to insure than a four-door sedan.
- Don’t get more coverage than you need. While it is often recommended that drivers carry extra insurance coverage, it is not necessary to go all out and have full coverage if you do not need it. A good example of this is people who go out and get collision coverage on an older vehicle that may not be worth replacing. You need to really think about what you need for insurance before you ask for quotes for discount car insurance rates.
- Don’t drink and drive. This is probably one of the most stupid things anyone can do, for a few reasons. For one thing, when you drink and drive, you are not fully aware of your surroundings and your motor skills diminish. You could have an accident, and if you are lucky, the only thing to get hurt will be your vehicle. It could be a lot worse, and you could injure or kill someone, and no amount of insurance money in the world is going to bring that person back to their family. When you take risks like drinking and driving, you risk going to jail, heavy fines, loss of driving privileges, and extremely high insurance rates.
- Learn better driving skills. You may think that the only way you are going to improve your driving skills is by practicing, but there are classes you can take that will teach you the skills you need to be a great, safe driver. These driver education courses are often taught in high schools, but they are also available to adults who want to be better drivers and get discount car insurance rates. If you don’t know where these classes are held, contact your local department of motor vehicles.
- Combine your insurance policies. Another way to get discount car insurance rates is to combine all of your insurance policies. If you already have home and life insurance, bundling them together with your car insurance is a great way to save money.
Discount Car Insurance Rates You May Be Eligible For
If you do your homework, you will find that you can be eligible for a number of discounts for your car insurance. For instance, if you are over a certain age, you may be able to get a discount based on this because insurers will take your many years of driving experience into consideration. Other discount car insurance rates you may be eligible for include:
- Military Discounts – If you are a current or retired member of the US military, you may be eligible for some discounts. You can get insurance from companies that specialize in insurance specifically for military members.
- Security Discounts – Many insurers will offer discounts to those who have anti-theft devices in their vehicles. If yours is an older model that does not have one of these devices, you can easily have one installed and then ask for a better insurance rate.
- Student Discounts – If you are still a student, and your permanent residence is at your parents’ home, you may be able to get a reduced premium by staying listed on their insurance policy. This will also help you later on down the road when it comes time to get your own car insurance, because you will have already had coverage in your own name.
Shopping for the Best Insurance Rates
One of the best ways you can go about getting discount car insurance rates is to shop around. Just like with any big purchase, you need to make sure that you are going to the store that has the best prices. It is the same with car insurance. You can shop around by getting quotes from many insurance companies to see what they are offering in the way of products, services and rates. If you give us your zip code, we can get those quotes for you. We will use your zip code to search our databases for quotes from insurers in your area. Then you can see which companies are offering the best discount car insurance rates.